Friday, January 18, 2008

iPod Theology

There’s something deeply spiritual about music. It moves us. It helps us to connect with God.

I was reminded of this spiritual dimension last night as I downloaded 1100 songs onto my new iPod (my Nano was totally out of space.) My mood during this process went from thoughtful (as I imported Donny Hathaway’s “A Song for You”) to grateful (as I bounced to Lecrae’s “Invisible”) to contemplative (as I reflected on Tom Howard’s “Humble Thyself in the Sight of the Lord”) to worshipful (as I belted out Fred Hammond’s “Praise Him through the Night”) to energetic (as I listened to Gavin DeGraw’s “I Don’t Wanna Be”).

I ended my efforts on a romantic note (conveniently as my wife walked in the door from work) as I crooned to Ray Charles and Van Morrison’s duet, “Crazy Love”. (I’ll spare you the details.)

Music is powerful. It inspires us.

I remember when my grandmother died thirteen years ago, sitting and grieving quietly during the funeral service, until a quartet approached the stage and sang my grandma’s favorite song, “Precious Memories”. When they hit the refrain, I began to sob uncontrollably. There’s something about a song that stirs us.

Perhaps the spiritual connection fostered by music explains the countless songs we have in the Bible.

When God delivered the Israelites, Miriam and Moses led the throngs, singing “The Lord is my strength and my song.” When the ark came to rest in the Temple, David appointed musicians to minister continuously with melodies and harmonies. Following his greatest victories and during his most profound spiritual struggles, David cried out to God with music. Jesus and his disciples sang together. The Apostle Paul tells us to sing to each other.

Why such an emphasis on music in the Scriptures? Because whatever our tastes are, music engages our spirit, and helps us to avoid what Jonathan Edwards deems our most odious offence against God: lukewarm worship.

May God help us to sing joyfully to him today.

1 comment:

Joe said...

John,
I love your heart man, and i totally relate to the depth that music can push us especially as it relates us to God through worship in song. Thanks for your comments and i thought i would give you a taste of something amamzing as it pertains to music, check out the first video on my blog..... http://www.catechizerscorner.blogspot.com/ under the title "Dave Matthews eat your heart out"....